[Robotics] YARP + Blender

Paul Fitzpatrick paulfitz at alum.mit.edu
Fri Apr 10 18:54:06 CEST 2009

Hi all,

I was excited to see news of the formation of this list on
BlenderNation.  On the wiki page, I noticed YARP mentioned as a desired
middleware on the wish list.  I'm a YARP developer, and a big fan of
Blender.  I'd be happy to lend a hand to anyone trying to interface to
Blender via YARP.

There is a (non-Blender-based) humanoid robot simulator with a YARP
network interface that might be a good starting point for understanding
at least one way to interface to a simulator via YARP.  The code can be
found in the repository of the RobotCub project:
  http://eris.liralab.it/iCub/dox/html/group__icub__Simulation.html
  http://www.robotcub.org/cvsweb/cvsweb.cgi/iCub/src/iCubSimulation/

I think Blender is a great candidate for a robot simulator.  Sometimes
people forget that not only do you have to model the robot, you have to
model the world around it.  And while the robot model may be relatively
static for a given project, the desired world around it can change from
experiment to experiment.  That means that it is just as important to
invest in making good modeling tools as it is to getting the dynamics of
the robot just right.  With Blender, the integrated modeling tools are
there for free from the very beginning.

Cheers,
Paul