[Network] The point of 'Links'?

Bart Veldhuizen bart at blendernetwork.org
Mon Aug 20 20:01:44 CEST 2012

Hi guys,

yes, I've already discussed that with Ton. It just wasn't feasible to have
that function ready before siggraph though.. How do you think it should
work / what kind of relationships should you be able to add? What if
someone adds a links as 'someone I've done business with', while you think
he's only 'someone I've known on the forum for years'?

Let's think this one out before I start building :)

Thanks!

Bart

On Mon, Aug 20, 2012 at 4:37 PM, John R. Nyquist <blender at nyquist.net>wrote:

> The links do need clarification as to their purpose. Functionally, they
>  impact search results, therefore they become important to business.
>
> I've always liked how LinkedIn does recommendations, those are not the
> simple click of a button. A person has to actually take time and thought to
> give one.
>
> Regards,
> John
>
> --
> John R. Nyquist
> Nyquist Art + Logic
> 864-NYQ-UIST
> http://nyquist.net/
> http://AstraItinera.com/ <http://astraitinera.com/>
>

> On Mon, Aug 20, 2012 at 8:26 AM, Jonathan Lax <jonathan at geckoanimation.com
> > wrote:
>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I've received tons of emails from people wanting to link with my company
>> profile.  People I've never even met, let alone done business with.  With
>> no context or description of these 'links' the network will not be
>> considered a reliable source of information about Blender professionals.
>>
>> If links are associated with any 'ranking' system on the network its just
>> simply going to become an incestuous group of those willing to accept links
>> with people they've not actually done business with.  Links should be tied
>> with case studies so roles, transactions and interaction are documented.
>>  This would then mean that these links can be considered an asset or proof
>> of genuine Blender-related activity/professionalism.
>>
>> Of course all networks online are heavily biased and full of false
>> information depending on how much money is being paid etc.  I may just be
>> naive in thinking Blender's could be different, certainly in its early
>> stages.
>>
>> Why not have links related to specific case studies or projects, so
>> anyone viewing a profile can see the extent to which 2 members have worked
>> together?  With no context, the links are worth nothing and only serve as
>> points to be gathered to boost rankings.
>>
>> Thoughts?
>>
>> Jonathan Lax
>> Gecko Animation Ltd.
>> UK