[Bsod-mentors] Ideas and comments.

Eugene Reilly etr9j at blendernation.com
Wed May 17 18:32:30 CEST 2006

Thought I would start by addressing the items Tim mentioned.

The structure of the proposal is sound, so I think we should stick with
that, and maybe use an "application" with these categories that need to be
filled out.  This could be an on-line application or just an odf or doc form
that they could e-mail to Tim.

The writing challenge I'm not too fond of for the reasons Tim stated
(language).  I would hate to have someone not participate because English
isn't there first language - or even if it is their first language and they
just aren't good technical writers.  If everyone still feels that we need to
have some evidence of writing ability, maybe we should ask for them to add
an entry or point us to an entry in the User Manual wiki or tutorial that
they have already written.  I'm not saying anything massive, maybe just a
quick intro on a subject not covered yet.  Just a thought.  Speaking of
language, I am inferring that this will all be submitted in English right?

As for proof of compentency, that would be important, though that's tough to
define and prove.  Using the proposal application we could at least see what
they say about their own compentcy, and to back it up they could write a
smaller entry about the subject or one similar in the User Manual wiki (as I
mentioned above).  And I realize the flaw in having potentially unqualified
users adding to the wiki causing poor quality to be posted.

As for theme, I think a Blender basics/semi-advanced bootcamp covering 2.42
would be better since there seem to be more and more new users of Blender
who are totally alien to a lot of Blender basics.  If we focused only on
changes, these founding tools and conepts would likely not be covered.  I
say semi-advanced because basics are great, but not seeing how they can be
used to the greatest potential would cause people to miss out.  For example,
IPO drivers, I could write about them and show how to drive a ball across
the screen, but I won't really get how to use them with bones and shape keys
for character animation.  I think after beginner Blender users pass the
beginner stage, they hit a wall and want to know what they can really do
with what they know.

For Mentor roles, a 1:1 would be good just so they have an immediate contact
to talk about rough drafts/translations.  The mentors can then talk to the
rest of the mentor group and ask about how to address major issues, etc.
I'm more than happy to help with non-English speakers writing in English.

For the format of the documentation, wiki is a great way to go because it's
formatted in a specific way.  We should have a draft wiki page that all the
mentors and participants can view and edit/critique all the documentation
that is going on.  When the documentation is final and signed off by all the
major players, we can send it to its final home.

Have there been any proposals sent in already?