[Bsod-mentors] Re: Official Start

GSR gsr.b3d at infernal-iceberg.com
Mon Jun 19 22:36:35 CEST 2006

Hi,
tim.wakeham at gmail.com (2006-06-20 at 0326.27 +1000):
[...]
> c ) All your pages must have the BSoD header at the top, which can be
> inserted by putting : {{BSoD/navigator | 2.41}} at the top before
> anything else.

Dunno if local problem, but on a old browser (Mozilla 1.something,
probably 0 or 2) that renders crap over the top (some text full of {
and } and rest of page become unresponsive at times) and in a modern
one (Mozilla 1.5, IIRC) the arrow buttons have a thick line on the
right side. Could someone try a different approach to rendering the
nav bar? I do not know how the wiki goes, so no idea where to start.
Anyway, I will add it last, if I keep on having issues.

> f ) All screenshots must be created with the standard Blender Default theme,
> no funky green themes (yes you know who you are!)
> Remember Blender has its own screen dump facilities if you need whole
> windows, otherwise if you're on Win you can use Winsnap
> which allows you to selected the area to capture.  Dunno about loonix
> sorry.  Also make sure that your screenshots only show whats
> necessary.  With regards to overlays, if you must draw onto screenshots,
> please use solid black, #000000 and don't put text.  If you
> want to put a reference to something use a solid black circle with a white
> number on it eg (1) then have a caption under the image with
> eg (1) Shadow Only button.  The number should be White #FFFFFF, Arial font,
> size 14 bold, and the captions should only be basic,
> reference the reference manual if you need detailed explanation, or put more
> details in the body of your text.

What about providing a zip with RGBA PNGs, say numbers 1 to 20 (or
whatever range is considered sane)? That way everyone can drag and
drop or copy and paste them over the screenshots. That would really
give same look (render engines render fonts differently, no kidding).

> g ) Make sure your images do not change extend outside the borders of the
> page layout, you can have clickable previews, which you
> can look at how to do in the template I linked to above.  On that note, keep
> all images as JPG's please (not too heavily compressed)
> and upload them to the wiki please, no external hosting..

PNG RGB should be no problem, and for interfaces it is better (not
RGBA, that requires trickery or MSIE will render crap... and anyway,
no idea what use would it had in this situation). So people should
decide if JPEG or PNG, for example by a basic rule like "renders and
other 'photoreal' is for JPEG (Blender quality: X), and interfaces are
for PNG" (I think 95 is what libjpeg considers best, higher being just
size increase with serious improvement... but I would had to
check).

If things are going to be printed at some point, it is better to be
zealous than regret having crap images as "master".

GSR