[Bsod-mentors] BSoD Proposal

michael k michael.k at mail.com
Fri Jun 9 18:35:17 CEST 2006

Dear BSoD Team,

This is my proposal for the BSoD.
I believe I may have missed the deadline for submitting proposals, but thought I would send it anyway.

Thank you for sponsoring this, and let's hope it produces a lot of good documentation.

Object/Data Relationship in Blender

Synopsis
========
The purpose of this documentation will be to introduce beginners of Blender to the fundemental concept of the object/data relationship.

This is one of the most important concepts in Blender, yet many beginners are not introduced to this concept until later in their study of Blender. A classic example of this missing knowledge is that many beginners wonder why the center of their object moves with their object in object mode, but does not in edit mode.

Audience Analysis
=================
The target audience for this document is assumed to be the following:
-First time users of Blender with no familiarity with the interface, usage or nomenclature of Blender.
-They are familiar with their computer and operating system, but have no programming experience.

Based on the assumptions above, I propose to add this document to the "Introduction" chapter of the wiki manual before users are introduced to the basics of using Blender.

The language used in describing the object/data relationship will have to be generic in nature, carefully avoiding the use of Blender specific and programming terms whenever possible, and explaining in layman's terms any terminology that must be used.

Scope/Breakdown
===============
*Introduction*
-Target Audience
-Overview
--OOPS
--Blender Data
--OOPS, Blender--Putting It All Together
--Conclusion

*OOPS*
-OOPS in the Kitchen
-A Very Brief Summary of an Overview on an Introduction to the Absolute Basics of Object Oriented Programming that Even My Mother Could Understand [working title ;-)]

*Blender Data*
-The .blend File
-Datablocks
-Working with Blender Data
--Selection
--Editing
--Visualization
--Scene Block
--Object Block
--Mesh Block
--Texture Block
--Animation Blocks

*OOPS, Blender--Putting It All Together*
-Duplicating Blocks
--Copying Blocks
--Linking Blocks
-Reuse
--Libraries
--File Size
--Memory Use

*Conclusion*

Deliverables
============
The final documentation will amount to between 10 to 20 pages of text with supporting graphics, that clearly and coheriently describes the data/object relationship of Blender in plain English that first time users can understand without prior knowledge of Blender's interface or operation.

A real-world example will first be presented to give readers an understandable framework (schema) that they can use to associate the new information about objected oriented programming that will be presented.

This pattern of couching new information in information that has already been presented, will be used throughout the topic so the users will always have a base of knowledge upon which to build their new understanding.

In addition, a running example, beginning with an "empty" scene
and progressively adding data (objects, textures and so on), will be presented to aide readers in visualizing the information presented without the need for them to understand the terminology or interface of Blender. It will made clear in the opening of the topic that the readers will learn these details in subsequent
topics in the "Introduction" chapter.

Layout, typefaces and other design considerations will be based on the wiki template that will be created by the team leaders, as mentioned in the guidelines.

Biography
=========
I first started using Blender in 1998 or 1999, when the C-Key was still in use, and have closely followed its development and the community ever since.

On the forums, I am a lurker and rarely post, but have always been there.

I wrote Chapter 3 of the Blender Game Kit, which was an introduction to 3D and Blender's Game Engine.

I am a professional technical writer living in Japan, and have over 15 years of experience in the field writing user documentation. I have written extensively covering a wide range of topics related to technology, and currently am employed by a leading Japanese optical equipment manufacturer coordinating the production of their consumer (non-SLR) compact digital cameras.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Best regards,

Michael Kauppi (-=Sensei=-)