[Bsod-mentors] Enrico Valenza proposal for the BSoD - Space scene

env at enricovalenza.com env at enricovalenza.com
Thu Jun 8 19:58:59 CEST 2006

Proposal:

a) Synopsis - a summary of what you will write about.

Setting up a realistic space scene from start to the final render (I had no time
to finish the image I was working on for this proposal, but a different example
can be seen at: http://www.enricovalenza.com/img/ovoships.jpg. Quite different,
btw!

b) Scope/Breakdown - what topic(s) will be covered, and how will it be
structured.

This will cover, step by step, topics from very basic to very advanced new
Blender's features:
- setting the general space scene
- building the models (not sure about this, maybe a too long and complex topic
to be included)
- use of python scripts for the modeling (see above)
- space environment: stars (mapped domes and Blender internal's) and backgrounds
(nebulae, etc.)
- use of a built library with linked Groups for the several objects
- the lights for each element, use of basic constrains and setting the control
to rule them all at once
- preparation of raw Materials for planets and spaceships
- node Materials: the easy way and the hard one
- rendering: postprocess with Node Compositor (motion blur, glow effects,
enhancement of colors, etc.)
- rendering size for poster's print purposes.

Be aware that all this is not definitely established; time has been too short to
check all the topics in detail, so maybe something will change as the job goes
on.

c) Deliverables - what the result will be, in terms of quantity, type, etc

At least 20 pages of a written tutorial with colorfull images and tips!! :)
Btw, it's not clear what 20 pages exactly mean... I've seen both short wiki
pages and long ones as well.

d) Biography - Blender knowledge level, past experience, links to existing work,
etc

By working since 1988 as a freelance illustrator for advertising and publishing
I mastered traditional painting techniques.
As I bought a computer, I started almost soon using Blender (it was version
2.23).
I wrote several tutorials about Blender, all available on my site
(http://www.enricovalenza.com).
In 2003 the american "Renderosity Magazine" published in issue number 5 a
tutorial of mine about the making of the computer graphic image "Bongo"
(http://www.enricovalenza.com/img/bongo.jpg).
With Blender and The Gimp, in collaboration with Image Development Studio in
Milano (Italy), I realized a fly - around presentation for ENIGroup and the
introducing animation for the concert "CampoVolo" 2005 in Reggio Emilia (Italy)
for the italian singer Luciano Ligabue.
In 2005 I won the Blender's Suzanne Awards for "Best Animation, original idea
and story" with the animation "New Penguoen 2.38"
(http://www.enricovalenza.com/anpeng.html).
In 2006 I joined for two last weeks of production the Orange Team in Amsterdam,
to help in finalizing the shots of the cg animated short movie "Elephants
Dream".

Documentation links:
http://www.enricovalenza.com/tut.html
http://www.enricovalenza.com/cv.html