[Bf-webcontent] site optimizations and speeding it up

Dan McGrath danmcgrath.ca at gmail.com
Sun Sep 22 16:33:40 CEST 2013

Hi,

On Sun, Sep 22, 2013 at 10:17 AM, Daniel Schalla
<d.schalla at be-untitled.eu>wrote:

> Hi Peter,
>
> thanks for your feedback!
>
> You messed the dimension a bit up, the smaller image got a size of
> 1900px, but however.
> I think it is just unnecessary to provide a 4000px width Image, iamging
> a mobile User
> gets on the site and has to load a 1,7mb Image, I didn't wanted to say
> "lets use PNG everywhere",
> I just think the images are to big for sure.

On the topic of jpeg vs. PNG, I tend to prefer jpeg for everything to do
with the site theme/appearance itself, but for some things, you want the
original 20 bazillion terabyte unaltered full size image for the user to be
able to view. So in the case of something that would appear on a page
somewhere, I think jpeg makes more sense. But when I click on anything
(depending on where, and what a click makes more sense to do), I expect to
see a nice high quality original, like the quad bot.

Otherwise, you get potential gallary sections that have crappy jpeg
artifacts over the whole image when all you want to see is a crystal clear
original in all its glory (we are an "art" related program, after all!).

>  Hi Dan,

> I think you got me right, I ment to create a Script which combines all
> CSS into one, but you edit
> still multiple. The script just creates one total file which is included
> in the theme, on that way
> you got still the "luxus" of owning multiple CSS Files for the order,
> but the HTTP overhead is
> reduced.

You are talking about having a PHP/script file that will scrape the whole
site for css files and assemble them into a single css file? How would this
not require altering the original addons and WP core files to now prevent
them from sending their original CSS so that it can instead be used from
your new single CSS file?

IMHO, tweaks like that should not be done for a CMS like WP, but for hand
built sites. I tend to agree here with Peter that we should just use what
comes with WP (minify, etc.) and ensure that our caching is working
properly.

Dan