[Bf-webcontent] site optimizations and speeding it up

Scott Petrovic scottpetrovic at gmail.com
Sat Sep 21 19:46:09 CEST 2013

I just did a quick network analysis of this site and can see a few things
that might be issues in general.

Is there a bootstrap tooltip library or plugin that is being used? the
resource is giving a 404 and might be producing some hanging while it is
trying to load it.

There are a couple huge image files out there. They need to be optimized.

http://staging.blender.org/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/05_6a_celia_quadbot.jpg(
1.7MB)
http://staging.blender.org/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/test1.png ( 827KB)

on a clean load, the homepage requires 35 requests with 3.2MB of data. It
would be nice if we could cut this down. Sizing those two images down alone
will be almost 2MB of that.

Also, there are 16 CSS syle sheets that are loaded. Do we really need to
have these all in separate files? Condensing some of them could really
reduce the requests being made and speed up the site.

I would love to help out with this. I currently don't have any access to
this site. I could help with migration or site optimization (or anything
else). Is there any way I could get access to this site to do some cleanup
work?