[Bf-webcontent] Runs out of box?

Piotr Arlukowicz piotao at gmail.com
Tue Nov 12 22:10:45 CET 2013

I understand your point. The missing part is just on the user side, namely
a simple chmod on blender executable, which isn't performed by a casual
user right after unpacking.
tar is able to set this, but only for superuser by default. The regular
user has to add -p option, which isn't the case also.

The possible solution is to create something similar to *.run file (as is
done, for example by NVIDIA drivers for linux). Such a file is just a bash
script with all binary data attached to its end, and all what is required
to do, is to run that script. This can be done by casual user with a mouse.
The script can simply unpack the blender archive to some default directory
and set the executable permission for blender.

What do you think?

pz
piotr
--