[Bf-webcontent] Suggestions for Website

Cal McGaugh cal at cal3d.com
Wed Nov 6 09:04:29 CET 2013

Hi Ton & everyone,

I just saw the new website for Blender.org. My initial reaction was, "What
happened???"

Here is a thread at Blenderartists.org
 http://blenderartists.org/forum/showthread.php?292306-Blender-gets-new-website&p=2509543#post2509543
<http://blenderartists.org/forum/showthread.php?292306-Blender-gets-new-website&p=2509543#post2509543>
( I don't know if you are following it)

Here is the text of my post at BlenderArtists.org , starting with a quote of
what "burnin" wrote earlier:

burnin wrote:
  no...
- when you realize that one came to visit for info on software, news, maybe new
gallery images, proper feature list, wiki, tutorials, dev & tech achievements,
so on... this page sucks big (compared to previous)
- big images are for gallery, header is called a header for a reason (it's not a
whole page),
- writings over images are disrupting & confusing (mainly for movie arts)
- too bright (monitors are not made of paper) wish for a darker theme (at least
an option - my eyes hurt with bright themes, even worse at night... this forum
theme is nice, but would prefer also other options (orange, red, blue, cyan,
green, magenta... on light, medium or dark grey)
- i just lost interest... to much clicking & moving around
- ehhh disappointment...

... thankfully relieved by this forum (blenderartists.org)

(my post follows)

Sorry, but I also agree. We seem to be in the minority, and I don't want to be
overly critical, but
the new site is WAY TOO BRIGHT.......somehow it just doesn't seem right for
Blender.org

There is too much text, the banner is too big, the Blender logo is tiny!

The layout is not logical & user friendly.

Needs a "Home" link on each page.

Text links need to have better contrast vs content.

Would like to see real buttons with a nice gradient & rollover effect instead of
just text for the all of the main navigation links, e.g. Features, Download,
About, etc.....the tall font seems strange.

You may miss the links for "What's New" & "Older Version".

Personally, I would like to see a darker warmer color scheme, e.g.
<http://blendtuts.com/>

Highly recommend the great little book, "Don't Make Me Think!" by Steve
Krug......a classic on website useability.

I'm disappointed, but if the majority likes it, fine.

I hope you will accept my criticisms and suggestions as constructive. I
appreciate the work that has
gone into it, and only want to make it more useable and inviting.

In the end, "You can please some of the people all the time, and all the people
some of the time, but you
can't please all the people all the time" to paraphrase Abraham Lincoln.

Sincerely,
Cal McGaugh