[Bf-webcontent] Website performance optimization

Francesco Siddi francesco.siddi at gmail.com
Mon Nov 4 10:36:56 CET 2013

Catching up on this old message.

On October 9, 2013 at 6:02:20 AM, Peter Carrero (peter.carrero at gmail.com) wrote:

Coming in a bit late in the discussion... I'd propose automating the compression/minification of css and js files with a tool like grunt.js. Doing these kinds of automation is crucial for easy of code maintenance and reduces the possibility of human error introduced in the process.

Here is an example of how to do it: http://blog.dylants.com/2013/08/13/minify-assets-using-grunt/

It will be the weekend before I have any time, if no one tackles this until then, I can get it setup.
If you are available, a similar solution would be very welcome. Please provide us with the design idea before implementing, so we make sure if fits with the current design.

Aside from what the others already mentioned, the biggest performance gain we will we is probably from the caching layers, which is more of a devops/infrastructure field rather than plain development. A well-tuned MySQL server (or cluster), an opcode cache for php, the use of memcache and all that with something like varnish to receive the brunt of web requests should make the site very snappy. Do we know what are the plans for the infrastructure architecture?
Serving the pages is not going to be a problem (we use extensive caching).

Thanks!

Francesco