[Bf-webcontent] Re: BitTorrent tracker for Video tutorials is down

Glen Moyes metsys at icubenetwork.com
Wed Jan 19 09:18:03 CET 2005

The bandwidth traffic caused by a BitTorrent tracker is minimal. I mean,
REALLY small. Maybe a few meg or something a day. It just sends out IP
addresses of people that have the file. So it won't do anything
significant to the web site as far as bandwidth is concerned.

The files can be seeded from any machine that has a connection to the
Internet. Basically that boils down to the community helps seed the
files. The only way you can make sure that the files are seeded are to
seed them all yourself. So far this has been very successful within the
community. I guess you could put a BitTorrent client on the server so
there will always be at least one seed, but I wouldn't recommend that
unless you know it won't mess up performance on the site.

I use a PHP based tracker. There are some good ones that I haven't
checked out yet that allows you some admin options (so you can only have
a set number of people that can upload torrents). If CPU is the issue
you can do a search on "BitTorrent Tracker C" to get some results on
sourceforge.net

- Glen