[Bf-webcontent] xhtml/css positioning discussion summary

Bart Veldhuizen bart at vrotvrot.com
Fri Feb 25 08:34:49 CET 2005

Hi,

I'm really enjoying this discussion, so let me give a quick summary of
the pros and cons that we've heard so far, and a few that you haven't
heard but that have been at the back of my mind:

pro:

- results in more compact pages:
     - speeds up browsing for visitors
     - reduces load on our webservers somewhat
- much easier to implement in Typo3
- lets the codemonkeys (Typo3 implementation) focus on their work and
the designers on theirs (CSS hacking)
- is the current web standard
- allows for 'elastic' designs
- allows for easier design changes in the future

con:

- difficult to get full cross-browser compatibility
     - will require some 'hacks' such as javascript, css bug exploits
etc.
- although it is the current web standard, the largest browser (IE) is
not fully compatible
- solution is overall more complex than traditional html

Cheers,

Bart