[Bf-viewport] OpenGL refactor status

Mike Erwin significant.bit at gmail.com
Thu Jan 5 16:11:06 CET 2017

Dalai Felinto <dfelinto at gmail.com> wrote:

> As a good way to start the year it would be interesting to know where
> we stand, what are the current hiccups, and what lies ahead.

I can answer much of this, but would also like to hear from other devs. Is
the current process working for you? What obstacles can we blow up in 2017?

1) OpenGL Task Force

> Where is the work happening? I would expect the progress to be
> communicated in the wiki:
> https://wiki.blender.org/index.php/Dev:2.8/Source/OpenGL/Immediate_Mode_
> Replacement_Tasks

Yeah that looks out of date. It really helps if people update their own
items! Devs like me can do this sometimes (for new contributors with no
wiki account) but not all the time.

> Is everyone remembering to update it while the work progress? I don't
> even know if the T49043 task is fully up to date.

That task is still the locus of communication for immediate mode work. Some
of its open diffs are recent and just need polish. Some of them are really
good but will be applied later (using geometry shaders for example would
break Mac now).

2) OpenGL 3.3

> Do you still have (have we ever had?) an option to compile Blender so
> that only the OpenGL3.3 drawing code runs? Could we make this the
> default option?

No. There is a build option to use core profile but this never worked.
There is no way to switch to new OpenGL until all this manual work is done.
And there's no reason to switch back after that work is done!

> 3) Status
>
> What is the current status of the overall work? Given the original
> planning (apart from the immediate mode refactor), how far we got,
> what is missing?
>
> It would be nice to have this communicated in the OpenGL page:
> https://wiki.blender.org/index.php/Dev:2.8/Source/OpenGL

I'll look over that page and respond in depth later.

> 4) UI Drawing
>
> I was running some performance tests (Clt+Alt+T) and the UI draw is
> still considerably slow compared to master (5x sometimes). The "User
> Preferences" window being the most emblematic case.

UI performance has always been good on Mac, not so good on Windows. This
leads me to think it's not a simple CPU code issue; that would be slower on
any OS.

There are two technical solutions I want to throw at this and see if they
help.
- use ARB_buffer_storage inside immBegin/End
- use one GL context for the whole app instead of one per window

That is it. All the best for everyone, and may 2017 be a great year
> for the Viewport!
> Dalai

:D
-- merwin