[Bf-viewport] Ghosting

Joshua Leung aligorith at gmail.com
Tue Aug 15 13:27:02 CEST 2017

Hi Hadrien,

The bottleneck for drawing onionskins for geometry has never really been
*drawing* the geometry, but rather, *evaluating the rigs + geometry* for
each of the frames shown. In that sense, Blender's lack of this thus far
has really been more of a "technically-not-feasible" problem vs "we don't
want to have this feature".

With the projects planned/in-development for 2.8, this should hopefully
become more feasible. In particular, the changes to how data is evaluated
(i.e. on copies instead of on the original datablocks) should in theory
allow us to spawn extra copies of the geometry data in the background to
calculate everything quicker. Or, perhaps we may finally consider just
caching modifier-deformed geometry for quicker playback in the viewport
(and get onion-skinning almost "for-free" that way).

Of course, whether all this actually works like this is still to be seen -
e.g. I'd still like to check on how we can optimise motionpath calculations
by using partial depsgraph updates (and on a background/internal copy of
the data).

Cheers,
Joshua