[Bf-viewport] Blender 2.8 Viewport Development

Dalai Felinto dfelinto at gmail.com
Wed Sep 28 10:30:27 CEST 2016

Hi,

@Yuri, (re: camera & staging) I'm sure some directors will favour
fully lit characters. But a lot of the time you don't even have the
materials ready at this stage in the production. Same goes for the
lighting. So, as an initial goal for this workflow, we will focus on
the other aspects of the rendering pipeline, namely shadows and
reflections.

@Patrick, (re: blender internal) it will really come down to how close
we get to the current BI quality in real-time. In the ideal world you
should be able to open your file and have a render-like quality right
from the viewport.

(re: filters): noted!

(re: shading): the idea is to allow for engines to include their
entire set of shaders (apart from some common ones) as part of their
(Python addon) implementation. The problems of allowing the
customization of existent engines (e.g., Cycles) this way is that you
would also need a way to indicate how the node would work in offline
rendering too. That said, maybe for Cycles we could allow a OSL node
to have a GLSL counterpart.

@brecht: I'll reply you separately soon.

@Jacob: I'm a bit lost on what you're asking. To expand the Blender
Internal with new functionality (a PBR system) is not part of this
project scope.

Thanks everyone for your interest,
Dalai
--