[Bf-viewport] Updates for the week of May 2nd - May 9th

Mike Erwin significant.bit at gmail.com
Tue May 10 19:07:13 CEST 2016

On Tuesday, May 10, 2016, Mitchell Stokes <mogurijin at gmail.com> wrote:

> Mike, any progress on the ideas/docs/design work you mentioned in the
> April 11th - April 18th report thread?

Yes! Sorry for the radio silence on this front.

Building on the earlier discussion, I implemented "solid wireframes"
with OpenGL 3.2.

One method works similar to the 2006 paper, handling triangle meshes. It
can also handle indexed meshes which wasn't feasible back then. A
second variant has adjustable thickness of each triangle edge. This
requires more setup (one float attribute per vertex) but lets us render
general n-gon faces, better non-manifold edges, etc.

Both variants can be smooth or aliased.

I sketched out a higher level API to make these simple to use, but haven't
yet implemented that part.

Will give more details & pictures once I'm back with the laptop.

--
Mike Erwin
musician, naturalist, pixel pusher, hacker extraordinaire