[Bf-viewport] Updates for the weeks of August 8th to August 29th

Mike Erwin significant.bit at gmail.com
Mon Aug 29 23:34:45 CEST 2016

Wow, August seemed to fly by!

I've been focused on the OpenGL upgrade -- eliminating GLU and replacing
legacy glBegin/End with Gawain's immediate mode work-alike. Added simple
built-in shaders for common 2D & 3D drawing. So far so good.

https://developer.blender.org/T49165 is the master task, commits are linked
to its subtasks.

Just started looking at ways to simplify solid mode drawing.
draw_mesh_fancy does about 1000 different things depending on the current
state: which mode we're in, whether something is selected or active, etc.
Layered / composited drawing in 2.8 will avoid messes like this.
Experimental goal: simple draw_mesh_solid function that uses one
solid-specific shader.

LET'S MEET -- I'm visiting the Blender Institute the 2nd half of September,
to discuss future viewport designs (technical and visual) with whoever
shows up! Will also be at the Blender Conference end of October.

Mike Erwin
musician, naturalist, pixel pusher, hacker extraordinaire