[Bf-viewport] What format will the render be?

Mike Erwin significant.bit at gmail.com
Tue Aug 23 17:50:15 CEST 2016

We still need to work some of these things out.

I like the flexibility of forward+. Will we be able to implement that in
OpenGL 3.2? Thinking of the compute part. Even latest Mac OS is stuck on GL
4.1 with no compute shaders. Worth investigating!

PBR definitely, Clément knows more about this. Support workflows targeting
Cycles, targeting Unreal. We can mine Unreal for ideas. PBR will be the
usual best viewing mode, but not the only option. Some projects don't need
a "final" render or realistic materials.

For example UI elements & widgets can use a totally different shading model
but still be integrated into the scene among fully shaded objects.

Short answer: we still need to decide what is needed & how feasible are the
things we want. Brainstorm here, then make a design task on dev.b.o?

--
Mike Erwin
musician, naturalist, pixel pusher, hacker extraordinaire