[Bf-viewport] Updates for the week of April 11th - April 18th

Mike Erwin significant.bit at gmail.com
Tue Apr 19 16:59:46 CEST 2016

This is a list of topics that each need to be expanded and discussed,
*then* they will become concrete tasks.

The single-pass barycentric wireframe approach is a good place to start! It
fits within this topic:
- mixed drawing: wires atop surfaces

Complaints & discussion about our current approach:
https://developer.blender.org/T44505

nVidia implementation:
http://developer.download.nvidia.com/SDK/10/direct3d/Source/SolidWireframe/Doc/SolidWireframe.pdf

http://www2.imm.dtu.dk/pubdb/views/edoc_download.php/4884/pdf/imm4884.pdf
http://www.imm.dtu.dk/~janba/Wireframe/Siggraph06.pdf

>From the authors' "Issues" slide:
• The method does not support indexed geometry
• Primitive/geometry shaders alleviate this!
• Silhouette edges drawn from one side only
• Only noticeable on small meshes
• This is essentially a method for triangles and quadrilaterals
• yes – but that is a very common special case

Several years of GPU progress has helped us though! Geometry shaders and
noperspective interpolation can be used.

But how can we use this to draw only the exterior edges of n-gons? Or draw
the interior edges (from triangulation) in a different style? Need to work
out those details.

Mike Erwin
musician, naturalist, pixel pusher, hacker extraordinaire