[Bf-viewport] Current state of Blender GL refactoring

Yury Baranov cucumberer at gmail.com
Fri Nov 20 15:49:22 CET 2015

Hi everyone. I suggest you to describe what features (and possibilities)
new Blender GL should have (a.k.a. Technical Requirements) and what in your
opinion should be optional, and what not. And let's imagine that we not
limited with current Blender code - let's just try to design the target
state, and then we will find the ways to solve this horde of problems.

Please point me if it was described somewhere else.

Let me start:
1. Viewport must be fast enough for sculpting. Every modern pipeline
(games/movies/etc) includes 3d-sculpt, so this is "must-have".
2. Possibility for addons to do something in viewport via python.
RetopoFlow addon and Mesh-Controls for armature (like in Pixar's Presto[1])
are pretty good examples.
3. Possibility for lighting and shading preview (it will be nice if
simplified lights and shadows preview will be available for any render
engine, not only BI)

[1] https://vimeo.com/90687696