[Bf-viewport] Viewport and shader system patches

Alexander Romanov a.romanov at blend4web.com
Mon Dec 28 15:17:35 CET 2015

Hi Blender coders! Especially Viewport and BGE coders)!
I have accumulated several patches for viewport and for shader system
which have cool abilities.

You can see them on this page:
http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/Dev:Doc/Projects/Blend4Web_proposals#Patches_under_Review

And here is the copy for discussion:
-------------------
D909 Support of Cycles' Vector Transform node in the Blender Internal.
This node is intended for conversions between different coordinate
spaces. Particularly, it would be very useful to convert normals from
the camera space (in which Blender works) to the world space. This would
allow users to create various view-independent effects in the viewport
and hence in Blend4Web too.
-------------------
D1414 Support "Image or Movie" and "Environment map" types of world texture.
D1413 Support cube map textures in GLSL render.
This two patches can be combined together.
-------------------
D1120 Support of Cycles' Normal Map node in the Blender Internal. As you
can guess from its name, this node would give the possibility to use
normal maps in the viewport, including tangent, object and world spaces.
Currently, Blend4Web users are constrained to put normal maps inside
extra Material nodes and link them via B4W_REPLACE nodes.
-------------------
D1542 "Do not tint cycled nodes" option for node trees.
-------------------
D923 Support of some Cycles' Geometry node functionality in the Blender
Internal. Currently, the Geometry node lacks such important outputs as
Incoming, Normal (in the world space), Tangent and others.
-------------------
D810 Support for Environment Lighting settings in the viewport. This
would allow our users to see the same lighting in Blender that is seen
in Blend4Web. For some reason, these settings currently only work in the
Blender render.
-------------------
D846 Smooth Step node implementation would allow smooth transitions of
values and colors. Currently, there is a B4W_SMOOTHSTEP node group in
Blend4Web which consists of 9 math nodes. The Smooth Step node
corresponds to the built-in GLSL function and would allow users to
create faster shaders.

I would like to discuss Viewport and BGE future plans on such improvements.
I arranged the patches in order of importance and integration
difficulty. So the first patch is the most recently checked and more
preferable for me to work on.

--
Alexander Romanov (Blend4Web Team)