[Bf-viewport] OpenGL ES compatibility

Mike Erwin significant.bit at gmail.com
Tue Dec 8 00:35:50 CET 2015

Hi Yuri,

Thanks for the info.

For Blend4Web, why is the GL version Blender chooses important? I thought
it implemented everything in WebGL (but I'm not intimately familiar with
the project). Passing data / materials / shaders from Blender to Blend4Web
will definitely need attention as Blender moves forward. But I don't
understand the argument to hold back the desktop GL version.

Yuri Kovelenov <yuri at blend4web.com> wrote:

> Accessibility has always been the main advantage of Blender. Being a
> FOSS tool, Blender is natural choice for CG beginners,
> freelancers and small teams. Some of them cannot afford paying for
> expensive hardware. It is also often used on Linux where
> open source drivers are often of bad quality and thus can lead to
> inability to run Blender.

Totally agree with the Blender-for-everyone ideal. I don't think we're
setting the bar *too* high though. It's going to ease development and
benefit the vast majority of users. Brecht beat me to the 12% thing!

Regarding cost, I just got a used entry-level Radeon HD 2400 for testing
the low end -- paid $13 (including shipping) on eBay. Lots of Dells had
these, some iMacs... People can get a much better card for $20 to $50.
Maybe we can work on communicating which GPUs *will* be supported instead
of the ones that will *not* be.

On Linux I only use the open source drivers, so this will be tested on AMD
& Intel during development. FOSS drivers have gotten pretty good lately.

> In any case what you are doing is already awesome. We are going to
> dedicate a programmer for the viewport project as well.

That's great!

Mike Erwin
musician, naturalist, pixel pusher, hacker extraordinaire