[Bf-viewport] OpenGL ES compatibility

Mike Erwin significant.bit at gmail.com
Sun Dec 6 17:28:06 CET 2015

On Sun, Dec 6, 2015 at 11:01 AM, Martijn Berger <martijn.berger at gmail.com>
wrote:

> I think if we are not hampered by it to much allowing the Sandybrigde
> hardware on intel to run would be a win.
>
> "In practice, Sandy Bridge supports OpenGL 3.1 with all the OpenGL 3.2
> extensions but ARB_texture_multisample
> <https://www.opengl.org/registry/specs/ARB/texture_multisample.txt>"
> "Sandy Bridge supports six OpenGL 3.3 extensions:
> ARB_vertex_type_2_10_10_10_rev
> <https://www.opengl.org/registry/specs/ARB/vertex_type_2_10_10_10_rev.txt>,
> ARB_timer_query
> <https://www.opengl.org/registry/specs/ARB/timer_query.txt>,
> ARB_texture_rgb10_a2ui
> <https://www.opengl.org/registry/specs/ARB/texture_rgb10_a2ui.txt>,
> ARB_shader_bit_encoding
> <https://www.opengl.org/registry/specs/ARB/shader_bit_encoding.txt>,
> ARB_occlusion_query2
> <https://www.opengl.org/registry/specs/ARB/occlusion_query2.txt> and
> ARB_explicit_attrib_location
> <https://www.opengl.org/registry/specs/ARB/explicit_attrib_location.txt>"
>
> That would be 3.2 without requiring ARB_texture_multisample
> <https://www.opengl.org/registry/specs/ARB/texture_multisample.txt> in
> practice.  Given the relatively high marketshare of these this could be a
> good enough way to go.

Then let's try to support Sandy Bridge! I have access to an HD 3000
(running Windows 7) for testing.

I can see ARB_vertex_type_2_10_10_10_rev & ARB_explicit_attrib_location
being very useful. Happy to use these as extensions and keep GL 3.2 as the
minimum.

> OpenGL and its extensions and who implements what is such a mess.
> I would like to look at what extensions are common in OS X 10.9 with GL
> 3.x hardware to be sure what parts of OpenGL 3.3 might be a good idea to
> require.

Here ya go
https://developer.apple.com/opengl/capabilities/