[Bf-vfx] Feature request - 'overscan' rendering option for better distortion compositing

Sean Kennedy mack_dadd2 at hotmail.com
Thu Feb 25 07:06:05 CET 2016

I'm not in front of my computer at the moment, but I have an idea about this.

I'm thinking the trick to getting the overscan is in the compositor. For the sake of discussion, let's say the footage tracked and undistorted is 1920x1080, and undistorted, its size is 2100x1160.

You would set your render size to be 2100x1160, so the 3d elements are the overscan size. In the compositor, you would also work at the 2100x1160 size, which you could do by scaling up the footage to that absolute pixel size, then putting the original footage at 1920x1080 over it. This essentially sets the canvas size to 2100x1160, but you're still working with your original size footage. Then add your undistort node, alpha over your oversized 3d render, then reapply the distortion. This will crop in your 3d, like it normally does, but your working at the overscan size, so you may be ok once you crop it down to 1920x1080. You could add a crop node and an output node to save out the correct 1920x1080 file. The default render will have to be the oversized one, but just don't use that one.

Again, there could be something I'm overlooking in this workflow, but that's what I would try.

And of course this is just a workaround, not a real solution.

Sean

Sent from my iPad