[Bf-vfx] Feature request - 'overscan' rendering option for better distortion compositing

Stephen Hamacek s.hamacek at gmail.com
Thu Feb 25 03:11:03 CET 2016

Hi all, first post here so forgive me if I'm in the wrong place :)

An issue that came up recently was the compositing situation where a CG element needs to be placed over a footage plate, where the plate has been undistorted for matchmoving etc. but then the original ('distorted') footage is desired for the composite.

The CG element can be distorted effectively with the distort node, but if it ran off the edge of the rendered frame, that edge would then impinge on the composite, cutting off the edges of the CG element.

I'm wondering if there is some way of creating an 'overscan' option somehow, maybe in the render settings, that could be linked to the distortion settings, so that the CG is rendered slightly larger, so that when it is distorted this issue does not arise.

Here is a thread where this was discussed somewhat:

http://blenderartists.org/forum/showthread.php?390200-The-composition-of-distortion

Would love to know your thoughts on this. It seems to be a common enough issue with compositing which other software (e.g. Syntheyes) knows about, but maybe I'm missing something in my understanding. Thanks!

Stephen Hamacek (Hammers)