[Bf-vfx] Bug when using va/b setting in edl file?

Tintwotin tintwotin tintwotin at gmail.com
Sun Nov 16 00:48:16 CET 2014

Oh, great! Thanks for pushing the fix.

The trouble with the EDL format is that it was invented for the analog age.
I mean for cutting negatives in the film lab or onlining tapes. And ever
since films where edited on computers the format has been altered to fit
that purpose instead making a mess of things...

I found a bit more on the format (and the format differences) here (but
still old 1995!): http://www.edlmax.com/edlmaxhelp/edl/maxguide.html
And another EDL specification here: http://edl2aaf.sourceforge.net/
This one includes even more EditModes: {NONE, A, B, V, A2, A2\V, AA, AA\V}

On a different note - using clip/file names specified in comments instead
of using reel name:
In order to solve the problems with file name vs. reel name and the length
limitation of the reel name a workaround has been added to the EDL comments
as described here (FCP7 manual):
https://documentation.apple.com/en/finalcutpro/usermanual/index.html#chapter=96%26section=3%26tasks=true

"How Clips from an EDL Are Named:
Clips imported from an EDL are named in one of two ways. If the EDL was
exported from a nonlinear system, the name is exported like this:
* FROM CLIP NAME: CLIP NAME HERE
where CLIP NAME HERE is the name of your clip. Final Cut Pro can recognize
clip names exported from the following nonlinear editing systems: Final Cut
Pro, Media 100, and Avid. In all other cases, Final Cut Pro uses the reel
name as the clip name."

Using comments to specify file names has become a standard, however I've
seen edl files where the clip name had a file extension and even some with
the full file path specified too. I've also seen some with the clip name
specified in a comment line but saying * COMMENT: instead of * FROM CLIP
NAME:

Anyway, thanks for pushing that fix.

https://developer.blender.org/rBA0a853ec83c64764d3d14cc0bdface353420934aa

> The other changes you mention may be OK, but not sure which EDL spec
> they're from.
> the CMX spec doesn't seem to contain them (though its scanned images
> so I couldn't search)
> http://xmil.biz/EDL-X/CMX3600.pdf
>
> While writing the importer it became clear this format is very loosely
> defined, it maybe OK to extend support, but like to include a
> reference to the spec in the commit, and that its compatible with
> existing CMX EDL files.
>
> On Sat, Nov 15, 2014 at 11:32 PM, Tintwotin tintwotin
> <tintwotin at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Another thing, but still related, I found some missing <EditMode>
settings
> > in the Blender EDL import script used by ex. Lightworks, Sony Vegas a.
o.

http://www.niwa.nu/2013/05/how-to-read-an-edl/