[Bf-vfx] Improving the 2D stabilization tool :: Next Steps

Sergey Sharybin sergey.vfx at gmail.com
Sun Jun 8 15:25:46 CEST 2014

internally all the stabilization values are to be stored in normalized
[0..1] space in order to be re-applied for the proxied movie. For the
interface they might be relatively easily converted to pixel space.

I didn't have much time to look into the patch yet, so not sure what is the
exact reasoning for this. It might some some other approaches as well...

Wouldn't mind having feedback from Sebastian as well.

On Sun, Jun 8, 2014 at 8:34 AM, Ichthyostega <prg at ichthyostega.de> wrote:

> > Am 05.06.2014 08:10, schrieb Sergey Sharybin:
> >> - Not sure why animated weight is not applied in compositor. It should
> >> work just fine, seems i'll need to have a closer look into the code. And
> >> yes, it's not editable in animation editors. This is something to
> >> implement still.
>
> > I have investigated that a bit more. I added a movie clip editor to the
> > Compositor screen. In the MCE, I can see the animated target position and
> > track weight properties.
>
> > But strange enough, neither the MCE view, nor the backdrop in compositor
> > shows the effect of those target position parameters. When I switch to
> the
> > tracking screen, on the same frame the effect of these parameters is
> > visible.
>

> Looks like I could clarify that behaviour: it was NOT a problem with
> automation.
> Automation works fine, in MCE, sequence editor, compositor and final
> output.
>

> After a lot of poking around with the debugger in the datastructures, I
> found that the instance of the MCE I was using to set up the automation
> had -- by accident -- the proxy settings enabled. While other instances
> of the MCE and the video sequencer worked with the full size.
>
> Now, since the position stabilisation itself is calculated in normalised
> coordinates, while of course the target position in the GUI uses absolute
> coordinates, the automation values don't give the correct result for
> another
> canvas size -- and I misinterpreted that as if the automation wasn't
> working
> at all.
>
> Conclusion: should probably redefine the target position settings to use
> relative values too. Meaning +1 == shift by a full image width (or height).
>
> This is probably less intuitive for the user -- but is there any other way
> around that problem? That is: can we somehow display absolute values in
> the GUI,
> yet have relative values in the DNA and Blender will set Keyframes in terms
> of the relative values??
>
> Cheers,
> Ichthyo

With best regards, Sergey Sharybin