[Bf-vfx] Improving the 2D stabilization tool :: Next Steps

Ichthyostega prg at ichthyostega.de
Sun Jun 8 04:34:30 CEST 2014

> Am 05.06.2014 08:10, schrieb Sergey Sharybin:
>> - Not sure why animated weight is not applied in compositor. It should
>> work just fine, seems i'll need to have a closer look into the code. And
>> yes, it's not editable in animation editors. This is something to
>> implement still.

> I have investigated that a bit more. I added a movie clip editor to the
> Compositor screen. In the MCE, I can see the animated target position and
> track weight properties.

> But strange enough, neither the MCE view, nor the backdrop in compositor
> shows the effect of those target position parameters. When I switch to the
> tracking screen, on the same frame the effect of these parameters is
> visible.

Looks like I could clarify that behaviour: it was NOT a problem with automation.
Automation works fine, in MCE, sequence editor, compositor and final output.

After a lot of poking around with the debugger in the datastructures, I
found that the instance of the MCE I was using to set up the automation
had -- by accident -- the proxy settings enabled. While other instances
of the MCE and the video sequencer worked with the full size.

Now, since the position stabilisation itself is calculated in normalised
coordinates, while of course the target position in the GUI uses absolute
coordinates, the automation values don't give the correct result for another
canvas size -- and I misinterpreted that as if the automation wasn't working
at all.

Conclusion: should probably redefine the target position settings to use
relative values too. Meaning +1 == shift by a full image width (or height).

This is probably less intuitive for the user -- but is there any other way
around that problem? That is: can we somehow display absolute values in the GUI,
yet have relative values in the DNA and Blender will set Keyframes in terms
of the relative values??

Cheers,
Ichthyo