[Bf-vfx] Plane Track (and more) small features request

Sergey Sharybin sergey.vfx at gmail.com
Fri Aug 30 10:45:27 CEST 2013

Hi,

Thanks for the feedback, answers are inlined.

1) Once I create the Plane Track there is no way to update it by changing
> the markers/tracking them for more frames. Which means the four corners I
> so carefully pinpointed are now lost forever.

Not actually truth. You might extend plane if you track markers for more
frames. You even might re-track markers on the "existing" frames. Just
currently you'll need to wiggle plane track corners a bit to trigger it to
take care of changes made to point tracks (plane track is updating every
time you edit it corners).

Alternatives here would be:

- Have a button to re-evaluate plane for the whole frame range
- Do life-update of plane as you're changing point tracks (after you moved
them, after you tracked them and so).

Both ways have their conz and proz and more feedback is welcome (Seb,
Hyper?)

> 2) [related to #5] Option to auto-update the planar tracker while I'm
> editing the markers (otherwise it gets really hard to track vertices after
> they move off-screen).

If i get it correct, it's totally related to what i described above.

Further, please do stick to blender terminology. Tracker is an algorithm
which tracks feature point across the frames. Entity is called "plane
track". You guys are keeping adding confusing meanings from all over the
software which only keeps making understanding of you more complex.

> 3) An option to start the Planar Tracker with the four vertices matching
> the four trackers would be nice (this should be super simple, I can try to
> tackle it myself).

Plane Track.

For sure we thought of all obvious things in the beginning and it's in fact
not so obvious. Rotation of the plane is really crucial and the way how you
detect which point track corresponds to image's left bottom corner is
really ambiguous.

Here's an example. Imagine you've got a billboard on the footage which
you're gonna to replace. It might be any of this orientations:
http://www.pasteall.org/pic/show.php?id=58406 If you could think of robust
way detecting left-bottom corner i'm all ears.

But for now it seems in ~50% cases guessed orientation would be just wrong,
and you'll still be frustrated and need to re-do orientation anyway. And a
tool which behavior totally depends on number of tracks select combined
with ambiguity makes me totally dislike suggestion above.

> Not related to Plane Track:
> ===========================
> 4) Allow for multiple selection of markers in graph view (to delete/clean
> them, when using "Detect Features"

You could select multiple markers within the same track. I guess you're
taking abut being able to select multiple tracks? Then it makes sense, yes.

5) [related to #4] Allow for 'C'ircle selection in Graph mode.

Not sure how Circle selection would be much more usable than box selection
in terms of motrack, bit it's not difficult to add.

> 6) 3D Viewport snap on markers (any markers) - just like we have for
> empties now. Note: it's to snap mesh/geometry to the markers (also it may
> be relative simple, it can be tackled by someone else)

You might snap cursor to bundles positions already. But making general
snapping aware of bundles is indeed interesting. Unfortunately, snapping
code is one of the most pitch-black magics is the code, so i have no
predictions about human-months to do this at this point.

--
With best regards, Sergey Sharybin