[Bf-vfx] Focal length constraints usability

Sergey Sharybin sergey.vfx at gmail.com
Tue Aug 27 21:17:02 CEST 2013

Hi,

Just some small notes to be taken into account when making decision:

- Interface is growing dramatically, so would recommend sticking to the
most used option (speaking of absolute limits vs. relative one)

- If we'll choose relative option second question is not valid anymore :)

- Nice thing about updating limits when focal length changes is that it's
easier to tweak bounds i that case and all the properties and settings are
always in non-conflicting state.

- Showing an error is not too much friendly. Perhaps if no auto bounds
tweaking happens, it's better to internally clamp focal length to the
bounds.

Anyway, now it's artists turn for feedback :)

On Wed, Aug 28, 2013 at 12:57 AM, Joseph Mansfield <sftrabbit at gmail.com>wrote:

> Hey everybody,
>
> I'm getting my focal length constraints work ready to commit to trunk but
> I have a couple of things to ask about how the interface should work before
> doing so.
>
>    1. The current minimum and maximum fields take absolute values (in
>    either mm or px). Would it be more useful to provide an interval (say ±5%
>    or ±2mm)? If so, the next question is irrelevant. Perhaps both options
>    should be available, if it would be useful.
>    2. I currently have it so that, only if the constraint is enabled, the
>    focal length intrinsic in the properties shelf cannot be adjusted outside
>    of this constraint. Sergey has pointed out that the constraint is a tool
>    property and shouldn't restrict any other property. So here are the other
>

>    1. Expand the constraint whenever the focal length is changed to
>       outside the range.
>       2. Allow the focal length to go outside the constraint, but give an
>       error if a solve with refinement is attempted.
>       3. Don't have any restriction at all (if you attempt a refinement
>       with the focal length outside the constraint, the given focal length
>       doesn't really mean anything.
>
> So, please let me know what you think. Thanks!
>
> Joseph Mansfield

With best regards, Sergey Sharybin