[Bf-vfx] Focal length constraints usability

Joseph Mansfield sftrabbit at gmail.com
Tue Aug 27 20:57:44 CEST 2013

Hey everybody,

I'm getting my focal length constraints work ready to commit to trunk but I
have a couple of things to ask about how the interface should work before
doing so.

   1. The current minimum and maximum fields take absolute values (in
   either mm or px). Would it be more useful to provide an interval (say ±5%
   or ±2mm)? If so, the next question is irrelevant. Perhaps both options
   should be available, if it would be useful.
   2. I currently have it so that, only if the constraint is enabled, the
   focal length intrinsic in the properties shelf cannot be adjusted outside
   of this constraint. Sergey has pointed out that the constraint is a tool
   property and shouldn't restrict any other property. So here are the other

   1. Expand the constraint whenever the focal length is changed to outside
      the range.
      2. Allow the focal length to go outside the constraint, but give an
      error if a solve with refinement is attempted.
      3. Don't have any restriction at all (if you attempt a refinement
      with the focal length outside the constraint, the given focal length
      doesn't really mean anything.

So, please let me know what you think. Thanks!

Joseph Mansfield