[Bf-vfx] Plane Tracking naming

David Jeske davidj at gmail.com
Tue Aug 13 17:34:44 CEST 2013

On Tue, Aug 13, 2013 at 12:36 AM, Sergey Sharybin <sergey.vfx at gmail.com>wrote:

> I do not happy with calling it "corner pin" because it's not  corner pin
> at all. You could (and probably even should) use more than 4 point tracks
> to make plane estimation much more accurate. Also, point tracks have no
> relation with corners at all: you could track points which are not corners
> of your plane (we showed this in our video).

The feature you are calling "plane track" appears *exactly* like corner
pinning in Mocha and After Effects. The "corners" referred to in the name
"corner track" or "corner perspective pin" are the corners of your "plane"
not the trackers themselves.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xRpHgVFPqqk&feature=player_detailpage&t=465
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fY4wwZFD5-c

The reason it's not called planar-tracking is that it's not 3d, it's a 2d
affine image transformation.

Why do you call it a "plane"? As far as I can see, it's not a 3d-plane, but
a 2d-affine compositing surface distorted in camera-space.

> Another usage of plane track might be constraining point tracks to belong
> to this plane while tracking them. Which means we might support
> other-way-around usecase: you create point tracks, you create plane out of
> them, and then starts tracking this point tracks taking plane constraint
> into account.

At that point, the track would be for a 3d-plane, and it would be
appropriate to call it a planar-track.