[Bf-vfx] Mango Samples with ACES via rrt_sRGB

Troy Sobotka troy.sobotka at gmail.com
Wed May 16 17:25:56 CEST 2012

On May 16, 2012 7:42 AM, "Brecht Van Lommel" <brechtvanlommel at pandora.be>
wrote:

> These look quite good to me now, the one thing that bugs me is the
> dark areas, there's almost no detail there anymore. My guess is this
> is just a tradeoff that you make if you want to fit the gamut, if you
> want a nice range of brighter colors there's less space for dark
> colors.
>
> Looking at movie trailers they often have this as well, so I don't
> think it's necessarily wrong. But I wonder if this is something that
> would be addressed in the color transform or just something artists
> can tweak in compositing

Bear in mind this is a pure ungraded dump to a reference standard sRGB
space (sRGB primaries / D65 @ 80cd/m^2). It assuredly has extremely low
"creative intent" from your DP.

On the subject of shadow detail, bear in mind that your DP was shooting to
maximize his data and maintain enough ratios to pull out his creative
intent via a grade. If he was doing temp grades on set, you can apply his
creative look LUT to the work to give the team a ballpark idea of the look
he will aim for in final grade after post.

Did J generate a creative look LUT? Is it available?

If not, sitting him down for a one light temp grade session would probably
give you a better idea of the overall look for the team. It then allows the
team to use the temporary grade LUT to evaluate further creative work.

TL; DR The detail is a creative decision that should be defined by your DP
based on his creative intent and applied as a creative LUT. The reference
standard outs sRGB, 709, DProj etc. all remain constant.

With respect,
TJS