[Bf-vfx] Mango Samples with ACES via rrt_sRGB

Brecht Van Lommel brechtvanlommel at pandora.be
Wed May 16 16:42:30 CEST 2012

Hi,

I did the same tests, results here:
http://download.blender.org/ftp/incoming/Mango/ocio-aces-to-rrt_srgb/

The images on the blog were exported in S-Gamut/Linear, which while
similar to ACES turns out to be not exactly the same. In particular
the red is saturated too much when assuming this is ACES. After
exporting as ACES, it looks better when applying the ACES to RRT sRGB
transform:
http://download.blender.org/ftp/incoming/Mango/ocio-aces-to-rrt_srgb/A004C003_120507_aces_00000.jpg
http://download.blender.org/ftp/incoming/Mango/ocio-aces-to-rrt_srgb/A004C003_120507_lin_00000.jpg

Also did a test on one of our renders with the same transform:
http://download.blender.org/ftp/incoming/Mango/ocio-aces-to-rrt_srgb/quadbot.jpg

These look quite good to me now, the one thing that bugs me is the
dark areas, there's almost no detail there anymore. My guess is this
is just a tradeoff that you make if you want to fit the gamut, if you
want a nice range of brighter colors there's less space for dark
colors.

Looking at movie trailers they often have this as well, so I don't
think it's necessarily wrong. But I wonder if this is something that
would be addressed in the color transform or just something artists
can tweak in compositing

Brecht.

On Wed, May 16, 2012 at 3:30 PM, gespertino at gmail.com