[Bf-vfx] Mango todos & feedback

Adrian Jeakins jeakinsadrian at gmail.com
Sun Apr 15 11:31:07 CEST 2012

I am new to blender development but as this is my area of interest I though
I'd jump in. I've done some playing around in the tile branch and I've
implemented a 2d corner pin node in it and I'm interested in doing some
more.

Would we not also need a node for adding the noise back into the cg or are
you planning to shoot grain plates on 50% gray?

The current industry standards for keying are really:

- The Primatte type algorithm where the 3d image space is segmented by a
polygon. The details of this algorithm are of course secret as the
represent the source of significant commercial competition. Time for for an
open source implementation? The good thing about this style of algorithm is
that the  user provides input to converge the algorithm to the correct
solution for the part of the image that they want to key and combine
multiple keys to get the best overall key.

- In nuke(yes sorry), and maybe some other applications now, the IBK keyer
which is a two stage process where we extract a clean screen and then the
keying algorithm where we do the matte extraction. The clean screen is also
useful for Additive keying techniques.

l guess the real state of the art is stuff like this but I haven seen it in
use much and I would image it would be very slow:

http://www.csie.ntu.edu.tw/~cyy/projects/matting/papers/cvpr2001.pdf<https://exchange.imperial.ac.uk/owa/redir.aspx?C=5d2afc43808841ef8294475226ee9b62&URL=http%3a%2f%2fwww.csie.ntu.edu.tw%2f%7ecyy%2fprojects%2fmatting%2fpapers%2fcvpr2001.pdf>

I've found that the ultimate key technique + a simple green-minus-red +
additive keyer (http://www.vfxwiki.org/tiki-index.php?page=additive+keyer)
can give a very good result but I agree there is a need for some more
advanced techniques.

in terms of small things I think we could do with:

- Addition of an abs option to the math node.
- Addition of max, min options in the color mix node.

Adrian