[Bf-vfx] Formats and Color

François T. francoistarlier at gmail.com
Mon Apr 9 22:39:32 CEST 2012

lots of chitchat for a known issue which as been there for ages ^^. So much
chat that I actually lost what was the point of all this (and yet I did
follow the discussion from the beginning).
Plus since you concentrate color space on standards and known ones. but
with many cameras/hardwares comes LUT as well. So its not just about
converting a few spaces to another of the one we know as for today. And for
sure its not just an issue around the Sony Camera. Think about 5D and its
cinestyle LUT, or C300 and all its profiles ? yes those are not color
space, yet transformation very good to use
A popular CM engine with lots of LUTs is already there. it let you do any
transformation. Why is there still some arguments on the topic there ? I
honestly don't follow anymore.
Even the OCIO engine with a LUT node would make as many transformation as
needed for advance user. You might want to make things simple for most of
the user, which is totally fine. But there is even great use to convert in
the middle of your process to some different Color space (for keying or
color grading for instance).
Its more complex that just interpreting the input and the output, it can
have so many uses, and like Troy said it already exists and Xavier have a
proof of concept if I'm not mistaking.

I feel this is like the endless story :p

F.

François Tarlier
www.francois-tarlier.com
www.linkedin.com/in/francoistarlier