[Bf-vfx] Tomato camera sensor changes

Matt Ebb matt at mke3.net
Thu Oct 20 23:43:55 CEST 2011

On Fri, Oct 21, 2011 at 3:38 AM, François T. <francoistarlier at gmail.com>wrote:

>> That the sensor_width becomes sensor_height in portrait, is as
>> Francois writes,
>

> NO ! I was actually saying that the sensor width NEVER becomes the sensor
> height. portrait mode is a rotation of the camera itself. You should never
> intervert those parameter

I'm not convinced by this reasoning (any time the sensor height > width
represents a camera rotation). Firstly not all camera formats are landscape
- some are square, some are portrait. We're not just talking about tracking
here (which I agree most of the time is done with landscape formats), but
we're talking about blender's camera model in general, and this should be
more flexible. I should be able to use blender to match output from my 6x6
mamiya or my half-frame olympus pen! ;)

The other thing is that bringing the idea of a camera rotation into
blender's camera model complicates and confuses the issue - rotation is a
property of the object and has nothing to do with the lens/film back.

If my memory is correct, the main reason this is up for discussion is
because of a (mostly convenient) peculiarity of blender, where the aspect
ratio is determined by the resolution, and decisions are made in the camera
model based on what edge (vertical/horizontal) of the final frame is longer.
I think it would be better to just make this explicit, with 3 FOV
calculation modes:
* Auto - the default, same as is now
* Horizontal priority - always use horizontal sensor size for FOV
calculation
* Vertical priority - always use vertical sensor size for FOV calculation

This could probably affect what is editable in the UI too - if Horizontal
priority is selected, the vertical sensor size could be greyed out, and vice
versa.

cheers

Matt