[Bf-vfx] Tomato camera sensor changes

Ejner Fergo ejnersan at gmail.com
Sun Nov 6 17:23:15 CET 2011

Hi Sergey!
First of all thank you for bringing back 'sensor_height' & 'angle_y'
again.Where do you want the changes I made to the FBX exporter (and
others)? It is not perfect yet (no focal length animation, rotation
issues in Nuke/Houdini but works fine in Maya). Still better than it
is now since with the changes Blender can at least export a camera
with the correct focal length. I will continue to try my best at
getting the camera to export/import correctly in all formats that
supports cameras (Collada, Alembic, etc.)
Sorry I haven't responded earlier to the 'sensor_fit' changes - been
trying to wrap my head around it. As it is now I don't think it makes
much sense, and may cause more confusion than just having both sensor
dimensions... Will try to break it down in no specific order:
1) The name "Sensor Fit" is misleading. The way I see it the sensor is
static and it is about how the resolution fits inside the sensor, not
the other way around. The description doesn't help as both FOV's are
always calculated no matter the mode.
2) Turning on the "Sensor" display option makes the problem clearer.
Even if what's happening is correct, it looks like the focal length is
changing (this is also my impression looking at the camera object when
changing modes). Been looking in view3d_draw.c but am not qualified to
see what it does precisely, but maybe the problem is it assumes a
fixed sensor width?
3) This may be an incredible stupid question: in math_rotation.c the
function 'fov_to_focallength' uses a float hfov (guess it's just a
variable name) but in rna_camera.c when used by
'rna_Camera_angle_y_set' how does it know the value is vfov and not
hfov? It works as it should, I just don't get it :P
4) Why is 'data.angle' there when we now have 'angle_x'/'angle_y'? If
it is for compatibility isn't it better to change scripts to use
'angle_x' instead?
I made this image that hopefully explains my thoughts
better:http://www.pasteall.org/pic/20212 (~800K, 1080x4000 px)
Maybe what I am asking for is working against how Blender works, but
to be honest I'm confused about the feature how it works currently,
especially with the sensor display option enabled, and unfortunately
to me it seems not so useful even if it is.
Thanks for your time!
Best regardsEjner