[Bf-vfx] Color spaces

Troy Sobotka troy.sobotka at gmail.com
Wed May 25 22:49:21 CEST 2011

On Wed, May 25, 2011 at 1:34 PM, Jeroen Bakker <j.bakker at atmind.nl> wrote:
> I managed to make a color space conversion node.
>
> http://ocl.atmind.nl/lib/exe/detail.php?id=status%3Ascreenshots&media=status:colorspace-node.png
> <http://ocl.atmind.nl/lib/exe/detail.php?id=status%3Ascreenshots&media=status:colorspace-node.png>
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O43ItUVvcks

Beyond fantastic. Well beyond.

> My question is what will be the next step. I can think of some.
> 1. automatically determine the input colorspace. (make the color space
> part of the color-data inside the compositor)

I can see some cases where this is going to fall apart possibly? I
believe most 'agnostic' linear spaces rely on heavy granularity on the
input and output side of things to control how the data is to be
interpreted.

I believe Matt Ebb and Xavier Thomas probably have the most direct
ability to discuss this topic at length.

> 2. use OCIO for color management in the compositor (to display, but also
> when writing to files)

Fantastic.

This would imply the need for ICC display profiles as well, to provide
proper LUT mapping in the VGA to display the images properly, correct?

This is fantastic work and lovely news.

With respect,
TJS