[Bf-vfx] New Tracking Workflow Ideas/suggestions

jayraj kharvadi jayrajkharvadi at gmail.com
Mon Jun 13 19:45:37 CEST 2011

Dear all,
I am a professional matchmove artist with more than 2 years experience on
hollywood movies.
I love blender and have been following its development silently for quite
some time now.
I was reading the comments on blendernation for the Tomato branch post(
http://www.blendernation.com/2011/06/11/first-glimpse-tomato-tracking-branch/)
 and I found pretty interesting and important comments just in case
People
over here have missed it.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This post is by someone named Rio :

@Keir Mierle: The basics is all i need :) Advanced features are nice (see
pftrack 2011 nodal workflow) but if we can’t control our solves on a
fundamental level the program is worthless to us. What I expect to see in
all matchmoving programs is this (this is my own list btw i’m just a single
matchmover):

Tracker related:

- Placing tracks manually
- adjusting track pattern and search regions
- offsetting the tracker pattern from the tracking point
- manually set if the tracker has to take tracking pattern rotation, scale
or skew in account
- setting a pattern failure threshold.
- which color channel to track
- selecting different tracking algorithms if available
(better speed, better accuracy, optical flow (i know is maybe a bit
advanced))
- centering the viewer on the tracker to be able to judge its quality.
- the ability to enable/disable the tracker for different time regions
- the ability to track 1 frame at a time. in the demonstration the tracking
went faster than real time although it can be a nice time saver, it makes it
very hard to judge a track and stopping it in time

Solver related:

- Setting the initial frames manually
- Setting solve frame range
- including/excluding tracks from the solve (should already be possible in
the tracking stage but doing it here to will prevent tracking information
loss)
- setting camera filmback and focal length as well as letting the program
figure it out the best it can
- placing constraints on groups of trackers (planar and distance)
- filtering out bad matching trackers by threshold and adjusting the solve
accordingly

I’m not sure which parts of this applies to blender and which to libmv.

Sorry if I’m being redundant with this list. I’m sure you’ve got your own
list and people working on it but I’d really like this to work so we can all
expand our tool set. It’s great what is being accomplished here. Please keep
it up!

Rio

I find this post by rio to be extremly important to camera tracking
workflow. Giving the maximum control to the artist.

Thanks all the devs for your hard work.

Regards,

Jayraj