[Bf-vfx] tracker feedback

Keir Mierle mierle at gmail.com
Sat Jul 23 20:28:23 CEST 2011

On Sat, Jul 23, 2011 at 11:18 AM, François T. <francoistarlier at gmail.com>wrote:

> Hey guys,
>
> made a few test with it today and it is very very good !! and it's actually
> quite fast. On comparaison on my laptop, same footage, loaded on RAM, almost
> same tracker with same size and stuff. Blender tracker is 4-5 time faster
> than Syntheyes !! and precision is pretty great !

Very cool! It will probably get slower though, as we add more sophisticated
solving. Right now the libmv solver is the absolutely stupidest possible
tracking algorithm that can't handle uncalibrated or even camera distortion.

Hopefully we can keep it fast if the "extras" are turned off though.

> Here are my thoughts on what should be improved though :
> - search box should be handle in better ways (as I talked before, maybe
> with tracker velocity or when you have more than one tracker getting helps
> from other)
> - playing with size of search area or pattern area is still too sensitive,
> and make the tracker more unstable. I can't quite reproduce the case, but it
> did happen to me few times, where the tracker just stopped after a few
> frames. It actually doesn't make any sense, while I'm making pattern or
> search area bigger, I can understand that it could get slower, but not that
> he can't find a new match. So this is the biggest problem for now IMO

I'm working on a rewrite of the 2D tracking which will make it considerably
faster and also add support for tracking any combination of rotation,
scaling, translation, aspect ratio, and skew.

- and as I said before I miss pre-roll & smooth feature from SYN. I know a
> lot of software don't have this, 3DE doesn't for instance, and that's also
> why I think 3DE is the worst tracker to do supervised tracking and SYN one
> of the best, if not the best. It's probably more a tool thing rather a
> feature into the tracker, I don't know actually.

Can you explain both of these features in detail? I have never used
Syntheyes, or any commercial tracker.

Keir