[Bf-vfx] Video stabilisation

François T. francoistarlier at gmail.com
Sat Jul 23 00:14:56 CEST 2011

there is 2 differents approach here :

2D stabilization :
mostly the result i got in my tutorial. even simpler it's what you got on
the "lock tracker" feature in MCE. except you might want to have rotation
and scale as an option (not that sometimes you can want only one of the free
to be solved. so this approach use at least 1 tracker up to 2 if you want to
solve rotation and scale

3D stabilisation
this is stabilizing the camera, the algorithm is a bit more complex and rely
on a group of point rather then just one as in 2D. I can't remember any algo
right now, but I can find out if you need to (I have been working with it in
the past).
As an example you have the tutorial in syntheyes.

3D gets better results than 2D no doubt, but it needs a 3D solve
(reconstruction) first. so having both is good.

I know Flame has a 2.5D stab, but I'm not quite sure how it works

The main feature needed in both cases is the auto-scale. If you look at my
tutorial, I added a factor to scale the footage at then end so you don't see
the border anymore. Auto-scale should know what is the best scale for the
entire footage, basically look for the frame  which as the biggest stab
value, scale it until you don't see any borders, and apply it on the rest of
the footage

voilà :)

cheers

F.

2011/7/22 Sergey I. Sharybin <g.ulairi at gmail.com>

>  Hello everyone!
>
> We've got everything for video stablization now (in fact we've got this for
> long time already). But i need your help again.
>
> Due to i haven't worked with tracking before this project, i'm not sure how
> artists expects this thing to work.
>
> The simpliest way i think would be to define one marker as "stable point".
> Like "Lock to Selection" works in Clip Editor. But it could be something
> else..
>
> One more thing. Where it should happen:
> - Clip editor.
> - Compositor.
>
> Due to we can't really change video, it'll defenetly node needed in
> Compositor. To make final shot "stable". But nodes can't be used in Clip
> Editor so probably stabilization should be done here too. But is it
> necessery?
>
> One more idea (probably which is directed to developers) maybe it could be
> useful (and possible) to add some kind of "Movie Clip Nodes" so
> pre-processed video sequence would be allowed for clip editing and movie
> clip node?
>
> --
> With best regards, Sergey I. Sharybin

François Tarlier