[Bf-vfx] Non-square shapes for pattern and search areas

François T. francoistarlier at gmail.com
Fri Jul 22 01:13:58 CEST 2011

> and also :
>> - this should be automatically animated (one tracker might need different
>> position and different size during the track)
>> - the anchor point should be able to be outside of the pattern
>>

> What do you mean by anchor point? I don't understand this request.

what I call anchor point, is the point of the tracker the actual final
coordinate. today it is constrain inside the pattern area. In some cases you
will need the pattern to sit next to the point. here comes the example
before you ask ;)

I had to track a feature, small rock on the ground, then the camera moves
and an actor get in the field getting closer and closer to my little tracked
rock rather than killing the track before the actor mess it up, I just moved
the pattern at the end next to the rock on the ground, so it could track the
last few frames I need without having to do the track by hand and the
pattern altered by the actor. But the final coordinate of the point stick
the all time on the small little rock. (yeah well I guess it's easier to
picture when you have the footage in mind :p )
what I mean is illustrated here at 8min35sec
http://www.videocopilot.net/basic/tutorials/05.Motiontracking/

>> - is having numerical value in UI very useful ? do we really care about ?
>> I would rather resize it on the marker itself than going into the property
>> panel and having to enter numerical value. Trackers have nice UI with square
>> & arrow on the side can't we grab that to do all the manipulation ? (or
>> maybe it is planned but not yet implemented :p )
>>

> We'll get there (on-canvas resizing). I think the current blender tracker
> may have been implemented faster than any other tracker in history, given
> that e.g. I wrote an entirely new 3D reconstruction pipeline just for
> blender, in a matter of days :)
>
> More will come with time!

yeah I know, I'm very surprised with it :) didn't mean to rush, I was just
giving feedbacks on the tracker, plus I would guess it's just on the blender
limitation side right now, not the pattern itself.

cheers

F.