[Bf-vfx] Blender's colour pipeline

Troy Sobotka troy.sobotka at gmail.com
Mon Jul 18 16:51:19 CEST 2011

On Jul 18, 2011 7:03 AM, "Xavier Thomas" <xavier.thomas.1980 at gmail.com>
wrote:

> - Wich CMS to uses? Apparently only lcms2 and OpenColorIO can handle
properly 32bit flat imagery. OpenColorIO seems to be the preferred choice
because it is oriented CG/Vfx and tightened to OpenImageIO which might make
his way into blender (Cycles). However some people where disappointed that
OpenColorIO does not handle the full ICC 4.2 spec. Personally I think it is
not necessary and people making graphics for printing (CMJK but often still
images and not animation) should do the CG in blender linear and the color
correction/composting in a program more intended for the purpose (Gimp,
Photoshop, ...)

The problem is that OCIO, due to the workflow at SPI, does not have a
characterization transformation from ICC.

ICC transforms are needed as it is likely 95% of Blender's audience would be
using a calibration and characterization system that works with them. OCIO's
LUT to ICC conversion I believe uses LCMS as a dependency to accomplish
this.

There has been a GSOC project that issued a pull request for ICC
integration. See https://github.com/imageworks/OpenColorIO/pull/87

So the bottom line is that currently, the question of CMS is answered - both
are needed. If and when OCIO integrates ICC transforms, the dependency on
LCMS2 will still be required.

With respect,
TJS