[Bf-usd] Support for Preliminary_Text

John Harrison johnnhe4 at yahoo.com
Sat Apr 16 02:55:22 CEST 2022

Hi, I’m a software developer (never contributed to blender) motivated (possibly?) to implement USD export support for one of Apple’s schema additions, namely Preliminary_Text: https://developer.apple.com/documentation/arkit/usdz_schemas_for_ar/preliminary_text <https://developer.apple.com/documentation/arkit/usdz_schemas_for_ar/preliminary_text>

My motivation is to allow a designer to create a USD file with text that contains the text attributes, not the final mesh (though I supposed it could do both). This would allow software to pull the attributes from the USD file at runtime, including xForm, material, font-family, etc., and use these attributes to render dynamic text at runtime with the same text attributes the designer intended. Think 3D user interface where text may change based on a view model.

Apple is thinking along these lines but, after diving into their tools, there seems to be more concept than implementation. They are pushing Reality Composer but I find it more a broken toy than a tool, so I am turning to blender.

Thoughts? Questions?

Best,
John Harrison