[Bf-usd] Collaboration goals

Michael A Kowalski makowalski at nvidia.com
Thu Sep 10 15:08:45 CEST 2020

Hello everyone,

I'd like to briefly state NVIDIA's goals in joining this collaborative effort.

NVIDIA is fully committed to adopting and supporting USD as an open interchange format, and our hope is to help make Blender a first-class member of the USD ecosystem.  To that end, our initial goals are to

  *   Help complete the USD importer/exporter implementation
  *   Add support for USD/MDL materials in order to permit easy materials exchange with other DCC tools

By contributing to the USD integration effort in Blender, we also hope to help lay the groundwork for adopting other USD-based open standards and platforms, including Omniverse.

If these goals are in alignment with this group's current objectives, we welcome further discussion to better define and prioritize these tasks.

Thanks,

Michael