[Bf-usd] USD importer progress

Blazej Floch blazej.floch at tangent-animation.com
Tue Nov 17 20:20:17 CET 2020

Hi everyone,

It took some time but we finally got our USD Import and Export branches public.

Detailed information can be found here (please the "Info" links for more details, we've updated the text based on our current state):

https://github.com/tangent-opensource/hdcycles/wiki

We are sorry this took longer than anticipated to get through the process. It means that meanwhile we have some duplication on the import part.
I hope we can coordinate how our work ties into:
http://developer.blender.org/T81257

Take your time to go through the material.

I think the important part will be understanding how we want to treat the upstream development on the importer. Are there features that we see useful from either implementations, and which base do we feel confident to use for future work so we can eliminate the duplication of work moving forward.

For the exporter we will probably push the additions for review to the bf next. So far, our code is based on 2.83, which is our stable production build for the upcoming project requiring this work.

Looking forward to hear your feedback!
Thanks,
Blazej