[Bf-usd] USD Hydra addon for Blender (published by AMD)

Brian Savery brian.savery at gmail.com
Wed Dec 9 01:01:38 CET 2020

Hello all on this list.  (reposting because apparently the message size is
limited with screenshots)

Good timing with the message from Jan and others!  We (AMD) are ready to
share for other developers a Hydra rendering addon for Blender!

https://github.com/GPUOpen-LibrariesAndSDKs/BlenderUSDHydraAddon

What it does:

   - Allows USD Hydra Render delegates to work inside Blender.  Basically
   this is a Blender "Render Engine" which exports data to USD and then via
   Hydra renders with whichever render delegate. (we include the Blender GL
   and Radeon ProRender hydra delegates but others should work)
   - Adds a "USD nodetree" which can be substituted for getting the
   straight scene data from Blender.  This allows assembling USD data via
   references and rendering that.
   - Also allows exporting assembled USD tree.
   - Basic shaders (Principled) and lights are exported to USD

Future stuff:

   - Include more render delegates?  Or others to test them
   - Finish MaterialX work.  Our thought is to translate Cycles shaders to
   materialX to have something portable that any MaterialX compliant render
   delegate can use.
   - Integrate into main Blender code.  We think this is abstract enough to
   be part of the main blender code but would like feedback first.  And maybe
   setup a USD Working group meeting to discuss how this could work.
   - Merge with other USD projects
   - Make work on other os's

Brian