[Bf-usd] state of development

Sybren A. Stüvel sybren at blender.org
Mon Aug 31 11:57:07 CEST 2020

Hi Michael & everyone else,

On 25-08-2020 17:49, Michael A Kowalski wrote:
> In addition to Sybren, Brian Savery and Blazey Floch, who are the
> developers working on USD support in Blender?

At Blender, I'm the only one actively working on the implementation.
Brecht and Bastién Montagne are involved in design discussions on the topic.

> Which features of the USD exporter / importer are currently under
> development?
For Blender 2.91 I added the possibility to export invisible objects.
This makes it possible to, for example, export both a visible character
mesh and its invisible physics simulation mesh.

Currently I'm working on exporting custom properties to Alembic, which
will likely be ported to the USD exporter as well.

As earlier mailed to this list, Brecht, Bastién, and I have been
discussing how the concept of import and export can be modernised and
linked to the use of collections in Blender
(https://developer.blender.org/T68933).

> In addition to the work on collections, have the goals or timeline for
> the remaining exporter / importer feature extensions been defined yet?

There is https://developer.blender.org/T73363, which describes the
planned milestones. There is no concrete timeline at this moment.

Kind regards,

Sybren

--
dr. Sybren A. Stüvel